The TN (NAFTA) visa is a non-immigrant status unique for Canadian and Mexican citizens. TN visa was created under the 1994 NAFTA treaty. It allows American, Canadian, and Mexican citizens to work in each other’s countries in certain professional occupations. Within the TN list of occupations, a Canadian or Mexican citizen can work in the USA for up to three years at a time.
However, the TN status may be renewed indefinitely in one to three-year increments. The TN is not a permanent visa and if the US immigration officials suspect that it is being used as a de facto substitute for a Green Card they may refuse further renewals. Spouse and dependent children of a TN professional can be admitted into the United States under TD status.
ADVANTAGES OF THE TN VISA
Main advantages of the TN visa over other US immigration visas:
- Can be obtained quickly
- Can be obtained at the border and no petition to US immigration is required (for Canadian citizens)
- No annual limits on the number of TN Visas issued (H-1B visa has a quota)
- Very beneficial for employers who want to hire a professional that could start within a short delay
- Can be renewed indefinitely
- Can be submitted/issued for up to 3 years
- The Ritz-Carlton
- JW Marriott
- Soho House
- Greystone Hotel